With the holiday’s upon us, everyone is busy shopping for the perfect gifts for their children. If you are anything like me, you want to build a love of reading in your children. So what do you do when their wish lists are full of video games and action figures? You find them a different or interesting book! Books make great gifts, they can be personal, they can open new worlds and expand minds…I don’t have to convince you of the wonder of books. 😉 I always try to find some out-of-the-ordinary book for each of my children – some of whom are bookish and appreciate it, and some who aren’t and lovingly roll their eyes at my attempts, but usually end up enjoying the book gift anyhow.
For the 3-6 Crowd:
We are HUGE Mo Willems fans here – his books are sweet, hilarious and fun. Everyone from the 4 year old to the 40 year old enjoy them!
- We Are in a Book! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
- Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie Books)
- I Will Surprise My Friend! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Finish This Activity Book!
We are also huge Jan Brett fans – not only are her books gorgeous, but lovely to read aloud as well.
And of course – there are the perennial favorites for this age group:
- Where the Wild Things Are
- Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business
For the budding artist:
Ralph Masiello has some really fantastic How-to-Draw books. They are really stunning and easy to follow – even my non-artist’s enjoy them and can easily follow the directions to complete a lovely piece of art.
- Ralph Masiello’s Dragon Drawing Book
- Ralph Masiello’s Fairy Drawing Book (Ralph Masiello’s Drawing Books)
- Ralph Masiello’s Dinosaur Drawing Book
But maybe you’re child would prefer something a bit more open-ended. If your child loves to draw, but often struggles to find something they’d like to draw – these are perfect:
Maybe your child likes art, but doesn’t need any drawing assistance. You may want to introduce them to different forms of art, or some of the great artists:
- Come Look with Me: Enjoying Art with Children (Come Look with Me) (World of Art)
- Come Look With Me: Animals in Art
- 13 Artists Children Should Know
For the budding writer:
My daughter really enjoy’s Ralph Fletcher’s books. They are highly readable and filled with tips and tricks to help writer’s at any level. Rather than feel “schoolish” the author speaks directly to the reader, giving the feel of a friend sharing advice rather than a teacher instructing a pupil.
- How Writers Work: Finding a Process That Works for You
- Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out
- Live Writing: Breathing Life into Your Words
Similar to the drawing journals above, these journals gives you a variety of prompts to give young writer’s plenty of ideas to write every day:
- Finish This Book
- Wreck This Journal (Duct Tape) Expanded Ed.
- How to Be an Explorer of the World: Portable Life Museum
For the fantasy fan:
My 14 year old read this series last year and hasn’t stopped talking about them since. She insisted that I include it on this list.
And of course there are classics like:
- The Hobbit: Illustrated Edition
- Special Edition Harry Potter Paperback Box Set
- The Roald Dahl Treasury
But there are lots of other fun Fantasy books that make great gifts:
- Wizardology: The Book of the Secrets of Merlin (Ologies)
- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies)
- Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
For the kid who just loves to read, here are some fantastic reads:
- The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection
- The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset
- The Wrinkle in Time Quintet Boxed Set (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, An Acceptable Time)
- The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set
- The Little House Collection Box Set (Full Color)
For the mythology fan:
- D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths
- D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths
- Percy Jackson pbk 5-book boxed set (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)
Just cool books:
- Optical Illusions
- How Stuff Works
- TIME For Kids Big Book of How (Time for Kids Magazine)
- TIME for Kids Big Book of What
- TIME for Kids BIG Book of Why: 1,001 Facts Kids Want to Know
- TIME For Kids Big Book of Where
- The Dangerous Book for Boys
- The Daring Book for Girls
This should hopefully cover something for everyone! Happy holidays and happy reading!